Thursday 1 July 2010

Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you - Neil Gaiman

It's nearly the end of Day 1 for our Readathon, and there have been some great contributions from strangers and friends alike; I hope everyone has enjoyed reminiscing with their favourite childhood stories as much as I have so far. As was pointed out in the previous post, this event is all about celebrating and promoting the magic of reading so I thought I'd add my own reading reflections to the blog.

As I am a bit of a night owl, I will be reading some of my favourite stories tonight including Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr and stories from Just William by Richmal Crompton - both classics. For me, they evoke some really lovely memories of my childhood and create a feeling of safety and comfort so it will be great to revisit them (especially Mog as she reminds me of one very fat family cat). As I've gotten older my enjoyment of children's stories has never quite gone away and if anything has increased as my reading horizons have broadened through education, friends and family.

While selecting stories to read for the Readathon I have realised that at least a third of the books I own are probably classed as children's or young adult fiction. Which just goes to show, you don't have to be under 10 to enjoy a good story. I'm really looking forward to helping host the Readathon Tent on Saturday where we will have reading, face painting and arts and crafts, so hopefully everyone who pops down to the Geoffrey Manton Building will get as much enjoyment out of the experience as I and the other Readathon Team members hope to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment